ACRES Land Trust seeking public’s help with bird species monitoring study in Fort Wayne area
Registration deadline is Friday for ACRES Land Trust’s second annual Bird Blitz, which invites local residents to visit ACRES nature preserves June 3-9 to record bird data for a national species monitoring database.
Participants will record their bird sightings on eBird, a national database created and managed by the Cornell University Lab of Ornithology, an ACRES news release said. People can bird watch as many times as they want during the week and at as many ACRES nature preserves as they want to visit.
Last year, 76 people participated in the Bird Blitz and visited 35 ACRES nature preserves and spotted 89 bird species, the news release said. The bird-watchers included families, scout groups, school groups, and staffs from local businesses and organizations.
The data collected will provide ACRES with a baseline list of species currently living in its nature preserves so staff can monitor any changes that take place through time, the news release said.
Bird Blitz registration costs $5 per person, and teams are welcome, the news release said. Register at acreslandtrust.org/birdblitz or by phone at 1-260-637-2273. Before June 3, participants will receive a species tally sheet, eBird data-entry instructions and a Bird Blitz patch.
People also can prepare for the Bird Blitz by attending one of these training opportunities:
• 7 p.m. May 16, Aboite Branch Library, 5630 Coventry Lane, Fort Wayne
• 2 p.m. May 19, Dupont Branch, 536 E. Dupont Road, Fort Wayne
• 7 p.m. May 21, Georgetown Branch, 6600 E. State Blvd., Fort Wayne
Area Audubon societies also will offer these regional birding basics workshops June 2:
• Mississinewa Audubon Club, 8 a.m., Asherwood, 7496 W. Indiana 124, Wabash
• Tippecanoe Audubon Society, 9 a.m. Tom and Jane Dustin Nature Preserve, 1802 Chapman Road near Huntertown
• Robert Cooper Audubon Society, 9 a.m., Limberlost State Historic Site, 202 6th St, Geneva
• South Bend-Elkhart Audubon Society, 1 p.m., Bittersweet Branch Public Library, 602 N. Bittersweet Road, Mishawaka
ACRES will host a Bird Blitz After Party, 2-4 p.m. June 10 at the ACRES office on the Tom and Jane Dustin Nature Preserve, 1802 Chapman Road near Huntertown.