IHSAA cross country state finals at a glance
Several Fort Wayne area teams and runners will take to the LaVern Gibson Championship Cross Country Course in Terre Haute on Saturday for the IHSAA cross country finals.
The boys race will be at 1 p.m. Saturday, followed by the girls race at 1:45 p.m. Here are some details and notes to know, courtesy of the IHSAA:
* DeKalb senior Tyler Schwartz is the defending girls state champion and won the title by nearly nine seconds last year. She has won every tournament race this year and seeks to become the first repeat champ since Culver Academies’ Alex Banfich won three in a row from 2005 to 2007.
* Carroll’s boys team will be back to try to defend its 2016 state title while making its eighth straight appearance at state.
* Local boys teams participating are Carroll, Concordia Lutheran and West Noble.
* Local girls teams participating are Carroll, Bishop Dwenger, Concordia and Homestead.
* Local returning runners who finished in the Top 20 at least year’s meet: Carroll’s Cole Powers in the boys and Schwartz, Carroll’s Abigail Green and Meagan Hathaway and East Noble’s Kayla McCulloch in the girls.