Celebrate Fort Wayne’s rivers in Promenade Park Sept. 29
Friends of the Rivers will host Fort Wayne’s first-ever World Rivers Day celebration on Sunday, Sept. 29. The event, from 2 p.m. to 5 p.m. at the Promenade Park’s Park Foundation Pavilion, will provide a chance to learn about and pay tribute to the St. Marys, St. Joseph and Maumee rivers.
Events will include:
• 2:15 p.m.: Mayoral proclamation
• 2:30 p.m.: Paddle Parade with artists and more than 150 artistically decorated canoe paddles
• 3:15 p.m.: Scavenger hunt with prizes
• 4 p.m.: Rides on Sweet Breeze canal boat
• Community voting for “best” paddle art
There will also be music, refreshments and educational field trip information, along with interactive tables from multiple river organizations. Sponsors include Wells Fargo, Purdue University Fort Wayne, WANE-TV (media sponsor) and Parkview (season sponsor).
World Rivers Day is a celebration of the world’s waterways. It highlights the many values of rivers, strives to increase public awareness and encourages improved stewardship of rivers. Since the first event was held in 2005, the event has grown to include millions of people in more than 60 countries. To learn more, go to https://worldriversday.com/.