NEWS-SENTINEL EDITORIAL: Vibrant summer ahead in downtown Fort Wayne
June is at our doorstep, and with it comes a vibrant, pulsating downtown summer experience in Fort Wayne with something good going on practically all the time. News-Sentinel.com today pays tribute to a city that is a great place to be for all people of all ages.
While there are many things to do in this city every day, such as the Fort Wayne Children’s Zoo, the Botanical Conservatory and Science Central, not to mention our parks and trails, there are also many opportunities to do something unique if you are visiting the city or already in town for work. Following are a baker’s dozen of our top picks to get you warmed up, listed in order of their starting dates.
1. June 1 is Friday, which marks the opening of Arab Fest Fort Wayne, to be held Friday and Saturday at Headwaters Park, the site of many festivals and other events throughout the summer. It’s the first of several diverse festivals that celebrate particular ethnicities through food, music and other aspects of various cultures.
2. Germanfest opens Saturday at Headwaters and lasts through June 9.
3. There are ongoing summer music offerings through the summer, beginning on June 6 with Lunch on the Square. These are weekly lunchtime concerts at Freimann Square at Clinton and Main streets from 11:30 a.m.-1:30 p.m. They continue through Aug. 29.
4. From June 7-Aug. 30 are Friday Nites Live On the Lawn concerts at Jefferson Pointe, moving this year from the fountain to the lawn beside the AMC theater.
5. Each Saturday from 6 to 10 p.m. from June 8 through Aug. 10 will be Rock the Plaza concerts at the Allen County Public Library’s Liberty Plaza.
6. The outdoor Foellinger Theatre will host a series of five concerts, the first on June 11. Others will be July 9, 25, 26 and Aug. 13.
7. The library will host concerts during Lunch on the Plaza on June 12, July 10 and Aug. 14 from 11:30 a.m. to 1:30 p.m.
8. Festivals at Headwaters Park will resume with BBQ Ribfest June 13-16.
9. Greekfest will take over Headwaters June 27-30.
10. Buskerfest, an eclectic series of street performances, will be held in the streets at Wayne and Calhoun from 4-10 p.m. on June 29.
11. The biggest of the festivals at Headwaters and surrounding sites is the area-wide Three Rivers Festival
12. A Taste of the Arts, an arts and food festival, will fill the area near the Arts United Center on Main Street Aug. 23-24.
13. The Johnny Appleseed Festival makes a great grand finale to the summer with thousands of people packing Johnny Appleseed Park near the Allen County Memorial Coliseum Sept. 21 and 22.
There are also plenty of other events going on this summer in and around Fort Wayne to keep us all busy and entertained. We applaud the Downtown Improvement District and many other organizers and sponsors for making the summer a happening time in Fort Wayne.
Check out the Visit Fort Wayne website for more information on these and other events at www.visitfortwayne.com.